Fortis Security Technology's Cadre of Professional Firearms Instructors each possess many years of military, law enforcement and federal government contract armed security experience. Fortis Instructors are all NRA Certified, adhering to the highest standards of professional conduct. Fortis Security Technology is a Service Disabled Veteran owned business based in East Wenatchee, WA with training teams ready to provide the firearms safety training that you need as a shooting sports enthusiast.

Our training teams are available to provide firearms training tailored to your needs. Ask us about our mobile training teams which are available to provide firearms safety training throughout the Continental United States to Military and Law Enforcement organizations, civic groups, shooting clubs and even Corporate Executive Retreats.
The Next Western Washington Utah CFP Course Is Scheduled For The Federal Way Wholesale Sports On May 15 From 2pm - 6pm. You May Contact Them In Store Or At 253-835-4100 To Register. You May Also Contact The Instructor At 509-393-3652 SMahood@FortisSecurityTech.com .


Thursday, December 31, 2009

Beware the Tacticool Mall Ninja

When I first got into shooting the AR-15 family of firearms I was really excited to have finally purchased an evil black rifle. I was in awe of all the really cool accessories that I saw on the different message boards that I visited. In my exhuberence and inexperience I wanted all of them because they all looked so cool.

If I would have been smart, I would have listened to the folks that told me to slow down and spend that money on ammo for range time. Ammo and range time, they told me, would actually
make me into a proficient marksman as oppossed to all the tacticool accessories which were just things stuck to my rifle that made it heavier. There are some accessories that I feel are pretty useful such as the Aimpoint Comp M2/M68 CCO or the EoTech 512 or 517. Another accessory that I feel is a necessity for every AR-15 owner, especially with the price of centerfire ammo being what it is, is a .22 LR caliber rimfire adapter or a dedicated .22LR upper receiver. These conversion kits or dedicated uppers allow for the firing of the much less expensive .22 Long Rifle Caliber ammunition which translates into more range time. More range time means better marksmanship skills.

Rimfire adapters are available from Olympic Arms, CMMG, as well as several other manufacturers. Dedicated .22LR upper receivers are manufactured by Olympic Arms, Spike's Tactical, as well as a number of others. For these conversion kits I recommend using magazines from Black Dog Machine.

Finally, to prove that I am not "more tactical than thou" and that I speak from experience when I warn my readers about purchasing unnecessary accessories. I present the first incarnation of my first AR-15. An Olympic Arms K3B-M4-TC (M-4 copy) that I had to go overboard on and make tacticool with a big scope and bipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment